I was looking for an inexpensive remote for my Canon 40D SLR. I had looked at the Canon infrared remotes (like the Canon RC-1), but didn't like the idea of having to be line of sight with the infrared window of the camera. They were inexpensive, but you'd still have to use the in camera timer if you wanted to be in the shot (or have a nice picture of yourself holding the remote).
I decided to take a chance and buy a inexpensive wireless Canon remote on ebay. The seller was located in Hong Kong, but the $18 price was great so I took a risk. The remote had the features I was looking for:
- JYC JY-110 Wireless Remote Control includes:
- 1 x V2s Wire/Wireless Remote Control C3 for Canon 10D 20D 30D 40D 50D 5D 5D Mark II 1D 1Ds and etc.
- 1 x CR2 Battery
- 1 x 23A Battery
- 1 x English Instructions
- FREE 32 inches Lanyards with K hooks
What's new with this Wire/Wireless Remote Control?
- Work as both wired and wireless remote control.
- The receiver works as a wired remote as well, even without the battery and transmitter.
- The receiver can be mounted on the hot shoe.
- With the receiver connected to your camera's remote control socket, you can press the button on the transmitter to trigger your camera's shutter wirelessly!
Also Work as a Wired Remote Control
- The receiver alone can be used as a standard wired remote control, even without the battery and transmitter.
Two-Level Shutter Button, Autofocus, Continuous Drive & Bulb Mode Supported Too!
- The shutter buttons on the transmitter or receiver can be pressed halfway or all the way (half-press or full-press).
- You can activate autofocus, release shutter, activate continuous drive mode or keep the shutter open for bulb photography as well.
- Strong resistance to interference.
- There are 16 channels available so that you can switch to other channels to avoid jamming frequency.
- Maximum working distance is about 100 Meters in open area without blockage.
Able to Mount the Receiver on Hot Shoe
- The receiver can be mounted on the hot shoe, like a flash gun.
- If you need to use the hot shoe for your flash or spirit level, you can use the Free fastener tape to mount the receiver on your tripod.
Energy Saving Design, Long Working Hour
- With its low voltage and energy saving design, you don't have to change the battery often.
- With a new battery, the receiver standby time is about 100 hours.
- With a new battery, the remote control can trigger about 1,000 times.
Avoid Camera Vibration=Sharper Pictures!
- Since you can trigger the shutter without touching the camera body, it can avoid camera vibration, thus resulting in sharper pictures.
- With the shutter buttons on the transmitter and receiver, you can do the followings:
- Half Press to activates autofocus.
- Switch the camera to single shot mode.
- Full Press to release shutter and take pictures.
- Switch the camera to continuous drive mode.
- Full Press and hold it to release shutter continuously.
- Switch the camera to Bulb mode.
- Full Press for 3 seconds.
- The receiver is in bulb mode now.
- Press the button again to close the shutter.
Seemed a little to good to be true for $18.00 with free shipping from Hong Kong. Well it delivered on everything promised (took about a week in shipping). The product quality very reasonable prosumer camera user. It worked as designed. The wireless work at distances up to 50 ft. (I didn't try any farther) with the antenna still in the remote. The LED's on the hand held remote and the camera mounted receiver unit were very informative about what was going on.
Here is a link to my completed auction on eBay (I just bought this -don't know the guys running the auction):