I love the products produced by June Fabrics. I used their product to intermittently tether my Windows Treo 700W -and it got me out of some odd jams. Essentially it was it's like using your cell phone as a 3G modem (without having to carry separate devices). June Fabrics couldn't make the process any simplier:
- Download the install application from http://www.junefabrics.com/android/
- Begin installing the application -the installer walks you through all the steps nicely. I did need to enable a setting to allow the application to be automatically pushed form the Windows XP PC to the Motorola Droid.
- Plug in you phone. I'm using the USB tether mode, but it also supports Bluetooth tethering. The appropriate USB driver was installed.
- Launch the PDA net application from the phone.
- Launch the PDANet application from the PC -little icon in the system tray
- Roam and surf.
Currently, I'm running the free version. It's nice that nothing is crippled in the free version of PDANet for Android. The price for the full version is $29, which is a bargain. I think I paid $39 for the previous version. Sure beats paying $10 a night for hotel wireless, just to make a quick VPN connection to check in on a server.
A few nice features are:
- when tethered over USB it's also charging the phone
- widget on the phone shows connection and bytes transfered
- author also provides a twitter account to follow up on the latest developments
- look forward to utilizing the Bluetooth capability in the future
- developer has been very responsive with enhancements and responding to questions over the years
June Fabrics -thanks for another great product!